Author Topic: Best way to re-heat fried chicken?  (Read 7271 times)

Online PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
Best way to re-heat fried chicken?
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
Just curious what you guys do. After sitting in the fridge it loses all it's crunch. I'm trying something new, microwaving for a minute, then into the toaster oven in hopes of bringing back a little of the crisp to the skin.

Any ideas?
Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool

Blades and Bushcraft = Quality over Quantity.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Best way to re-heat fried chicken?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
You could re-fry it in a deep fat fryer set on high.   

I usually de-crust it and then make chicken noodle soup out of leftover fried chicken. :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Online PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »
You could re-fry it in a deep fat fryer set on high.   

I usually de-crust it and then make chicken noodle soup out of leftover fried chicken. :)

WW.

That sounds pretty good! We've had a couple of the roast chickens from the deli recently. they were less than $4, which isn't much more than a whole uncooked chicken. Anyhow, I picked the bones clean and used those leftovers with a pack of taco seasoning to make soft tacos. Came out great, and there was almost zero waste. My wife and I wind up getting 2-3 meals for both of us out of one chicken that way, and the flavors are different enough you don't feel like you're eating the same thing over and over.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
Just curious what you guys do. After sitting in the fridge it loses all it's crunch. I'm trying something new, microwaving for a minute, then into the toaster oven in hopes of bringing back a little of the crisp to the skin.

Any ideas?

PW,  the microwave tends to change the original taste of cooked chicken,  and often the texture as well,  what I've found that works well for us is to place the chicken pieces on a foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheet and put it on the top rack in the oven,  then turn the oven on to 325,  as soon as the oven comes up to temp and the oven alarm goes off it's warm and crunchy.
 I don't see why you couldn't do the same in your toaster oven,  as long as the pieces are warmed slowly as the oven temp comes up it won't burn or over brown.

Online PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
I've found the microwave does change it a bit. This time it didn't turn out too bad though. i zapped them for a minute, then into the toaster overn for a few more to crisp them.

they were nowhere near as good as freshly fried. but they were way better than microwaving them alone.

Next time I'll give your method a try. :)

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
The two best ways to reheat fried Chicken IMO is to either put it in the oven at 300 for 20 min or refry it. I like it at room temp. so I cover with a towel and let it sit on the counter for an our or so drench in hot sauce and enjoy.
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Quiet man

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
    • Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I would just as soon eat cold fried chicken straight out of the refrigerator, reminds me of a picnic. The grease is not as messy either.
Live to hunt, but hunt to feel alive

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
  • PROVERBS 26:11. MATHEW 7:1-6
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I would just as soon eat cold fried chicken straight out of the refrigerator, reminds me of a picnic. The grease is not as messy either.

Me 2 :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
Toaster oven crisps it back up.
I'm off my meds.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »

Same here.  I don't reheat fried yard bird usually.  Cold chicken and some iced tea on a hot day...heck yeah!!!
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »

Same here.  I don't reheat fried yard bird usually.  Cold chicken and some iced tea on a hot day...heck yeah!!!
:fire1:  well, that makes 3 of us :banana:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »

:fire1:  well, that makes 3 of us :banana:

Make that four,  to me left over chicken or turkey in the fridge is an open invitation to snack,  especially at like three or four in the morning,  nature calls and your mouth is dry,  so you take care of business,  wash your hands and head for the fridge for a sip of filtered water,  and looky here,  Chicken   :banana:

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
Ya'll need to learn how to count I was THE FIRST ONE  to claim I like it cold. :P
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »
Ya'll need to learn how to count I was THE FIRST ONE  to claim I like it cold. :P

I just checked your post on room temperature chicken..........yo u must have your air conditioner turned back a LOT further than we do to get it that cold :fire2: :rofl:       Pull up a stump and hand me one of those drumsticks as long as you're up, though :cheers:

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »

Sorry missed it.  Laptop died and I'm on the kid 'puter that needs a tuneup badly! ~LOL~

Still....we like our leftover bird cold!

...with iced tea!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 12:30:22 AM »
Speaking of wich.. It was " National Ice Tea Day " today well.. yesterday (Sunday June 10 )....   :)   

Another good yummy with left over chicken..   In a Wrap with chopped tomato and Ranch Dressing...   quick meal...  midnight quickie..  :)

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • Diogenes of Sinope was an optomist!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »
I kept quiet about the "cold" chicken 'cause I thought I was just weird.
So I'm coming out of the closet on this one! I almost never try to reheat fried chicken. Salt shaker, a pinch of black pepper and a cold beer!
  :banana:
Never do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »
I prefer cold chicken to warm chicken almost all the time. 

And as far as it being weird?  Yeah....what's your point?  ;D
The world is full of ugly things that you can't change.
Pretend it's not that way.....that's my idea of faith

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • Diogenes of Sinope was an optomist!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
I prefer cold chicken to warm chicken almost all the time. 

And as far as it being weird?  Yeah....what's your point?  ;D
You do have a point there, but if you comb your hair just right, nobody will notice.  ;)
Never do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »
You guys don't eat enough!  In my household, there is never any left over fried chicken.  I end up eating it all up!
How else do you think I got this svelte 280 lbs. frame?
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
You guys don't eat enough!  In my household, there is never any left over fried chicken.  I end up eating it all up!
How else do you think I got this svelte 280 lbs. frame?

Same here!  Except the white meat.  I don't like those so much.  Too dry.  If I fry my own, it's just legs, thighs and wings.

I make nuggets from the breast meat.  Those don't last either, but IF some do, they are good cold in salads.

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
If I am going to nuke the chicken (or most other things for that matter) to reheat it, I wrap it in a wet rung out paper towel.  This helps prevent the moisture getting sucked out of the food by the microwave.   I just do it long enough to get it warm, not piping hot.  Works great for reheating biscuits as well.
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline Thaddius Bickerton

• Mill File+
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
should there be left over fried chicken (or pizza) it is just eaten cold from the fridge.

Add a nice home brew along with it if appropriate.

Thad

Offline illiteratti

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
I also love it straight from the fridge. Maybe a bit of honey on it too, otherwise the toaster oven is probably the best choice for quick easy reheat that brings back some of the crunch. Oh, and a bit of honey is great on reheated fried chicken too!

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 04:06:58 AM »
but I would just as soon eat cold fried chicken straight out of the refrigerator

+1

Cold fried chicken is just too yummy to try and reheat it.

Heck, I've been known to make it a day in advance and stick it right in the fridge.
Who in their right mind gives a 25 Lb kid a 2 Lb block of chocolate .... damn Grandparents

Online PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »
Wow, it seems this has gone overwhelmingly in favor of cold leftover chicken!  ???

I have had it that way, and it's good when you're hungry. But I still prefer hot and crispy.  8)

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 10:14:10 AM »
Wow, it seems this has gone overwhelmingly in favor of cold leftover chicken!  ???

I have had it that way, and it's good when you're hungry. But I still prefer hot and crispy.  8)

Don't get me wrong .... I won't turn a piece of fried chicken down at any temperature  ;)
Who in their right mind gives a 25 Lb kid a 2 Lb block of chocolate .... damn Grandparents

Offline land cruiser

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
I like cold chicken, more than I like hot chicken:) But fried chicken is pretty darn good:)

So if you ask me what's the best way, I'll tell you that you should eat your leftovers cold and just cook up some fresh chicken:)

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
I'll tell you that you should eat your leftovers cold and just cook up some fresh chicken:)

Brilliant !!!!

Eatting cold leftover fried chicken while your making hot/fresh friend chicken, so that you don't have to eat cold/leftover fried chicken !!

Genius !!!!!!! Absolute genius !!

Offline land cruiser

• Whetstone +
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »
I guess you could do that, if you are really hungry or have 1 drumstick of a leftover. Otherwise you could just put some sarcasm on a slice of bread and have a great meal;)