Author Topic: Noss's Knife Tests  (Read 7439 times)

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
Noss's Knife Tests
« on: June 14, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
I don't know how many of you have seen any of Noss's knife tests in the past. He took his site down and deleted his old YouTube account but he now has another account and is putting them back after a lot of people asking him to. I know some people don't like destruction tests and think it is stupid but I like them and learned a lot about some knives. I don't want this to be a debate on destruction tests because almost every manufacturer of a tool product has done them and repeats them regularly so I don't see why anyone would get upset. Anyway this is more for peoples enjoyment and maybe to learn something.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KnifeTestsNoss/videos

This is the video that turned me on to Busse knives. Busse FFBM

Busse Skinny Ash

Cold Steel kukuri

Chris Reeves Green Beret
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Noss's Knife Tests
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »
His tests prompted me to decide to buy a Schrade SCHF1. I saw what it would take to break one, and knowing that I wouldn't push the knife that hard if I owned it, I was confident it would do everything I asked of it.

I think his brand of destruction testing is unscientific. But I also think it is valuable in that it shows you how to avoid breaking your knife, if you happen to own one of the ones he has tested. I think that most people going in know that they are not going to use a $200 knife like a $20 brick set, even if it could take the abuse. ;)

Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool

Blades and Bushcraft = Quality over Quantity.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »
For me, I don't care a bit for his style of testing.  That is to say abuse of anything is not a good measure in my book.

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:16:50 PM »
I just watched, well, skipped through, the CS Kukri test.  All I know is:  Holy schnikeys!  That is one ba-dass blade!  Who would've guessed a sub-twenty dollar blade would take that kind of abuse.  That's money well spent if you ask me.  Thanks for the links BB.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 07:03:09 AM »
I just watched, well, skipped through, the CS Kukri test.  All I know is:  Holy schnikeys!  That is one ba-dass blade!  Who would've guessed a sub-twenty dollar blade would take that kind of abuse.  That's money well spent if you ask me.  Thanks for the links BB.

+1
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »
I appreciate the tests but could never ever want to do this to my own blades.  I do appreciate the video maker doing it for me though.   ;)

Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »
I was really into watching them a few years back.  Mostly just to see which kind of steels were tougher.  It prompted me to believe the RAT RC-4 was the knife and steel I wanted so I got one.  So with that said, his vids are over the top but do serve a purpose. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline C3 Knives

• Water Stone
  • No moment in time is -Ordinary-!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 08:15:12 AM »
I think Noss's vids fall into the realm of entertainment.  On that level they are better than many things out there.  Like some have said, they are not scientific and it's hard to watch him abuse a good tool the way he does, but fun in a way also. 
C3 Knives-Hand Crafted For High Performance!

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 08:18:43 AM »

+1

Yes I agree that he proved this blade gave the most bang for the buck by far. Cold Steel sold a ton of these after this video came out.

I appreciate the tests but could never ever want to do this to my own blades.  I do appreciate the video maker doing it for me though.   ;)

I am happy as well that he did these as I would never do this to mine either. Even though his methods are "unscientific" they still give a lot of useful information for any potential buyer like OutdoorEnvy and PetrifiedWood stated. They both bought a specific blade after seeing his tests and I did as well.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline kanukkarhu

• Water Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »
This may seem funny (or weird even) but I have never finished watching a destruction test on a knife!   :rolleyes:  Dunno why...  Maybe the cheap Scot in me recoils? :shrug:

EDIT: Not that I am against them or anything.  And manufacturers do and should do such tests.   I will say I can see how useful such tests are.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:33:56 AM by kanukkarhu »
"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?"

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 06:44:40 AM »
His tests prompted me to decide to buy a Schrade SCHF1. I saw what it would take to break one, and knowing that I wouldn't push the knife that hard if I owned it, I was confident it would do everything I asked of it.

I think his brand of destruction testing is unscientific. But I also think it is valuable in that it shows you how to avoid breaking your knife, if you happen to own one of the ones he has tested. I think that most people going in know that they are not going to use a $200 knife like a $20 brick set, even if it could take the abuse. ;)

I have that knife PW! I welded it back together and still use it to this day. He sent it to me because he thought there was no way in heck that anyone could fix it.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:21 PM »

I have that knife PW! I welded it back together and still use it to this day. He sent it to me because he thought there was no way in heck that anyone could fix it.

Lol, that's pretty cool! You have a little piece of internet history there! :D
Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool

Blades and Bushcraft = Quality over Quantity.

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »
It has been a while since I cared about how strong my knife was, but I am very happy that he does those tests. If I was in the market for a tough "indestructible" knife, his videos would be of great value. Even when I am not looking for such a knife, it is good to see how different manufacturers stack up.

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
  • Jontok Bushy Approved 7-30-12
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 06:10:07 AM »
I have watched a few of his videos before and I own a couple of the knives he has tested. I am pleased with my frugal purchases because I know I will never put my tool that abuse.

What surprised me most is how well some "cheap" knives perform under his tests and how poorly some very high dollar knives perform.

I hate to see miss use and abuse of tools, but I also find comfort in knowing my tools are up to any challenge that I will put it to.
Why kill them with kindness when you can use and axe? - found on Facebook

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:16:53 AM »
How the hell does he afford this habit???
Bushcrasher

Offline land cruiser

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
Can someone tell me if the length of the video is a good enough indicator of the knife toughness? I just can't see myself spending 1.5 hours on watching any youtube video:)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »
I've been just skipping through and watching in 'fast forward'. you'll get the gist.
Bushcrasher

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »

most of the knives are donated in either used or new condition. and since most of them have a lifetime warranty, after he destroys them, he gets new ones for free :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
Can someone tell me if the length of the video is a good enough indicator of the knife toughness? I just can't see myself spending 1.5 hours on watching any youtube video:)

well, he spent 2+ hours making it, so if you are interested it will be worth the watch, and if you arent interested, then dont worry about how they did ;)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline kanukkarhu

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »

most of the knives are donated in either used or new condition. and since most of them have a lifetime warranty, after he destroys them, he gets new ones for free :D
Aaaaaah... THAT explains it then.  I was wondering that too.

Saaaaaaay... anyone want me to run some destruction tests on any of your stuff?  ;) Mu-hahahaha!

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
Sure, you can run a destruction test on my girlfriends minivan. But I'm definitely not sending you a replacement after.
Bushcrasher

Offline kanukkarhu

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
Sure, you can run a destruction test on my girlfriends minivan. But I'm definitely not sending you a replacement after.
Bwa-hahahahahahaaa!  Tell me its a Dodge!  >:D

Offline JTD

• Whetstone +
  • Farkarewe Tribesman
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »
Thanks BB!

Was looking for that Destruction website last week.  Didn't know what happened to it. 

As for his tests.. I think the serve a purpose.  A bit extreme of course!  I only really need to watch him baton and whack a 4x4, but the rest is still fun to watch.
I recently destroyed two blades I had that where of questionable design doing heavy batoning in dry pine.  Was it painful to see them break, and bend?!  Yea, but I it answered my questions about rat tangs!
Classic MacGruber!