Author Topic: Sheffield Rogue  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Sheffield Rogue
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »
My eldest just picked up one of these yesterday. Comes with a nylon sheath, a ferro rod, and diamond lap in two pouches on the back of the sheath. 10" blade.

Any thoughts? Anybody own one?

"In a modern survival scenario you are trying to get out alive, its short term. Obtaining rescue is the main intention. In a primitive living scenario, you are already home, living off the land. There is no rescue." - Cody Lundin

Online Spyder1958

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
Re: Sheffield Rogue
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
No OP, Looks like a biggen. is it 440?
Captain Chili > I wonder if Captain Blue Pig knows that his boat sucks?
Captain Blue Pig..... my boat sucks & they are going eat me at the portage.

Offline comis

• Mill File
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »
Personally I am not familiar with Sheffield products, so I can't say much for the quality/construction of the blade.  But given the long blade and the design(hollowed belly, unknown full tang, sharp pommel, serrated false edge spine), I do suggest to be very careful if your son do intend to baton or chop wood(or even prying) with it.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »
Personally I am not familiar with Sheffield products, so I can't say much for the quality/construction of the blade.  But given the long blade and the design(hollowed belly, unknown full tang, sharp pommel, serrated false edge spine), I do suggest to be very careful if your son do intend to baton or chop wood(or even prying) with it.
The Sheffield Bowie has been imported from England since the 1850's. Sheffield knives have had a sterling reputation for well over a century.
My son doesn't baton with a knife, and understands that a good knife is not a crowbar. I noticed this knife is relatively light (due to the cut outs in the blade.), even with a full tang, so I'm not sure it would make a good chopper. Definitely big enough to whack down a few limbs, though.
The back of this Rogue has a very sharp, square edge, and he's already struck a few good sparks with the included ferro rod. He's still in his "big knife" phase, as I was in my youth. The serrated false edge on this knife is the only thing that doesn't appeal to me.

Spyder, I have no idea if it's 440, or not.
"In a modern survival scenario you are trying to get out alive, its short term. Obtaining rescue is the main intention. In a primitive living scenario, you are already home, living off the land. There is no rescue." - Cody Lundin

Offline gerold

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
Just got the Sheffield Rogue knife. The display knife i looked at didn't say where it was made.  When i got the package home and looked at the box it came in it said made in China.  This is not a knife made in England.  Hope it works out ok.  I will be using it to butcher hogs.  I will post in a couple week how this knife holds up.

Best,
Gerold.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
The names "Sheffield" and "Solingen" have been thrown around in advertising with no real reason other than to sell crap knives better.

Unless you actually buy a knife direct from the Sheffield or Solingen regions of Britain and Germany, you are probably receiving something made in Pakistan, Taiwan, or China.

PMZ

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »
The names "Sheffield" and "Solingen" have been thrown around in advertising with no real reason other than to sell crap knives better.

Unless you actually buy a knife direct from the Sheffield or Solingen regions of Britain and Germany, you are probably receiving something made in Pakistan, Taiwan, or China.

PMZ
The last I heard the Solingen steel was a process, and still supposedly controlled by the family. I'm sure there are fakes, but supposedly Solingen steel made in Taiwan is the same steel made in Germany.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
  • PROVERBS 26:11. MATHEW 7:1-6
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
I think Solingen is a 'region' in Gemany......at least that's what I remember reading.  I dun'no ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »
It is a city:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solingen

Kinda along the lines of Seki City, Japan.

PMZ

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:44 PM »
In that article, you read about the tradesmen breaking their guild oaths and revealing secrets regarding their legendary blades. That's what I meant about "Solingen steel" being a process, not a trade name.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
Well yeah that's true. Except that most inexpensive blades marked "Solingen" are simply 420 stainless steel with questionable heat treat.

PMZ

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 05:04:11 AM »
For a knife that costs $20 it is probably OK.  Looking at pictures (the reviews on-line were useless) I suspect that the tang is a piece of threaded stock that is welded to the blade, and probably the weak point of the knife.