Author Topic: The Curse of Oak Island  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • Diogenes of Sinope was an optomist!
The Curse of Oak Island
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:26:37 AM »
New tonight on The History Channel.
Another company of explorers attempt to solve the mystery of Oak Island's Money Pit.
If you aren't familiar with the story, this show is a good place to peak your interest. If you know the story, it's going to be interesting to see where the show leads. 
I've done no research as of tonight on the what the Laginas found, or didn't find, but the show rekindled my long-time interest in the Island. It's a fascinating story going back 200 years...and before that if you consider who, when, how and why it was constructed.

It will be showing at various times all week, with Episode 2 next weekend.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island
Never do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics.

Offline madmax

• Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
Re: The Curse of Oak Island
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:21:01 AM »
This one has been a favorite of mine for decades.  Why wouldn't it?  Buried treasure.  Indiana Jones-ish pit.  There has to be something down there.
I'm off my meds.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
I favor the Knights Templar theory. They are the only ones I can imagine who had the engineering skills to pull this off. I really can't see even a brilliant pirate captain getting that much grunt labor out of a rag-tag crew of buccaneers.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »
I watched something about this a few years ago.  I wonder when it will dawn on them that the money was taken out and spent?  Its the same kind of result as the safe they found on the Titanic and opened on television to find it void of valuables. 

I guess this will go on as long as advertisers pay for production companies to make this stuff.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way.  (M.T.)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
I watched something about this a few years ago.  I wonder when it will dawn on them that the money was taken out and spent?  Its the same kind of result as the safe they found on the Titanic and opened on television to find it void of valuables. 

I guess this will go on as long as advertisers pay for production companies to make this stuff.
It's pretty unlikely anyone got to the bottom of the shaft after the flooding. And it's not production companies footing the bill. They are just capitalizing on the private fortunes spent by individuals over the years.
You can Wiki it, and get a cursory overview of its history. Personally, I doubt there was ever a cache of gold pirate treasure down there at all.

Offline xj35s

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »
Very well worth the 45 minutes. If the money pit, now flooded, is still stable why not dig more in that hole? Hydro mine it and go until there is nothing left but bedrock. Interesting that there were man made layers to that depth. I'd like to continue following this.

Thanks for the post. First I ever heard of it.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
Very well worth the 45 minutes. If the money pit, now flooded, is still stable why not dig more in that hole? Hydro mine it and go until there is nothing left but bedrock. Interesting that there were man made layers to that depth. I'd like to continue following this.

Thanks for the post. First I ever heard of it.
It's all a matter of money. Sure, we have the technology today to pursue the adventure, and apparently the main goal of the Laginas was to find enough evidence to interest investors.
One burning question for me is what happened to the metal plate with the "code" on it? It supposedly disappeared in 1919. Is it in a private collection somewhere? If so, why hasn't it reappeared and been used to solve the mystery? Did someone steal it to keep the secret a secret? Did it even exist in the first place, since no photos or rubbings werer ever made?

Offline Nature Boy

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »
Watched the show last night. I remember reading about Oak Island years ago. Will keep on watching until they start to feel 'scripted'. As for the coded tile....it said something of a million pounds buried underneath...could it be a million pounds British, a million pounds of stone, or sand, it could be anything I suppose. Still a great mystery on the technology on how it was built 200 years ago.....
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »
... Still a great mystery on the technology on how it was built 200 years ago.....
It was discovered 200 years ago. The construction apparently predates that. Check out some of the stuff that's been written about Smith's Cove. One theory is that there was a seawall built, the water drained (don't ask how...they would have had to use hand pumps), the booby trap conduits built,and then flood the Cove by removing the seawall. Interesting stuff.... 
Again, I can't see pirates doing all that. If you read up on how most buccaneers stashed their booty, this is way over the top for that purpose.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »

It's pretty unlikely anyone got to the bottom of the shaft after the flooding. And it's not production companies footing the bill. They are just capitalizing on the private fortunes spent by individuals over the years.
You can Wiki it, and get a cursory overview of its history. Personally, I doubt there was ever a cache of gold pirate treasure down there at all.

OP these "reality" productions are paid for by investors in the production companies who sell the program to the network.  They are not treasure hunting; they are running an entertainment business. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way.  (M.T.)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
OP these "reality" productions are paid for by investors in the production companies who sell the program to the network.  They are not treasure hunting; they are running an entertainment business.
I appreciate your cynicism. Read up on it a bit, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

Rick Lagina and his brother are mentioned in this article from a website dedicated to the exploration of Oak Island.

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/content/view/397/2/

Offline xj35s

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
If it was A&E or Fox. I'd think so. This is the History Channel. I give them a little more credit than a reality show. Besides no bubble butt chics in the whole 45 minutes so that is ruled out anyway...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
If it was A&E or Fox. I'd think so. This is the History Channel. I give them a little more credit than a reality show. Besides no bubble butt chics in the whole 45 minutes so that is ruled out anyway...
So far it's definitely more of a documentary, than any reality show.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
I remember being fascinated by this when I was a kid. I'd love to see them finally figure it out, but as I understand it, nobody even knows the location of the original shaft anymore. Previous attempts have made it much more difficult for future attempts. If it was just discovered for the first time today, they would have a much better shot at figuring it out.
Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool

Blades and Bushcraft = Quality over Quantity.

Offline madmax

• Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 12:17:28 PM »
Put Anthony Bourdain on it.  He'll ghetto the bottom of it.  LOL.

Andrew Z. will cook...or go stag.
I'm off my meds.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »
I appreciate your cynicism. Read up on it a bit, though.

Rick Lagina and his brother are mentioned in this article from a website dedicated to the exploration of Oak Island.

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/content/view/397/2/

I am well read up on it.  This was old news ten years ago.  This is no different that chasing the Lost Dutchman Mine in the Southwest.  No way to separate legend from fact. 

I see that Mr. Lagina is associated with Oak Island Tours.  They are also in the entertainment business.   The History Channel calls the program "The Curse of Oak Island" and you thinks its not a dramatized reality show?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
I remember being fascinated by this when I was a kid. I'd love to see them finally figure it out, but as I understand it, nobody even knows the location of the original shaft anymore. Previous attempts have made it much more difficult for future attempts. If it was just discovered for the first time today, they would have a much better shot at figuring it out.
I agree! They've blasted the thing with dynamite, and turned the main shaft into a sink hole, and its collapsed in on itself.
I'm pretty sure there is ground imaging sonar now that could locate the deeper part of the shaft, but the problem is still the water. They could sink caissons down the shaft, and keep pumping, but probing in the dark is futile if they can't locate the main shaft.
Again, we're talking $$$$$$$$$$$ to get it done.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »

I am well read up on it.  This was old news ten years ago.  This is no different that chasing the Lost Dutchman Mine in the Southwest.  No way to separate legend from fact. 

I see that Mr. Lagina is associated with Oak Island Tours.  They are also in the entertainment business.   The History Channel calls the program "The Curse of Oak Island" and you thinks its not a dramatized reality show?
The "curse" is also a recognized legend of the site.
I am, and always have been, more focused on the actual mystery of the 'who,when,why and how' than I am who might be currently making a buck off a 200 year old question.
Rather than comparing it to The Lost Dutchman mine, I compare it more to the Hall of Records somewhere in/under the Sphinx.  ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
I favor the Knights Templar theory. They are the only ones I can imagine who had the engineering skills to pull this off. I really can't see even a brilliant pirate captain getting that much grunt labor out of a rag-tag crew of buccaneers.

"Where's your buccaneers young pirate",  "Under me Buccan hat you old fart".    :lol:

Offline Sarge

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »

"Where's your buccaneers young pirate",  "Under me Buccan hat you old fart".    :lol:

LOL! Now that's funny right there...

Seriously, it's an interesting topic. I saw a documentary and read some about it years ago but haven't kept up with recent developments. I'll have to DVR to show tonight.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost."  - Horace Kephart, 1917

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
You're incorrigible! If you didn't have a sense of humor, you wouldn't have any sense at all!  ;D :taunt:

Offline Malcolm

• Mill File+
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 11:27:39 PM »
Another of my - rare - replies:  I've been fascinated with the Oak Island pit since the early 60's and I don't believe anyone has come up with anything new and tangible for quite a while.  I was not aware of any alleged Templar involvement with Oak Island until the past 20 years, when several authors seemed to find Templars in a number of different projects and locations.  The Scottish Sinclair's may have visited New England some 90 years before Columbus and the clan chieftains have had a long affiliation with both Templars and operative Masons.  I would welcome more research on the topic, but I have no idea from whence it would come.  Certainly an intriguing topic, though.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
  • PROVERBS 26:11. MATHEW 7:1-6
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
I'm a seeker of light and nobody's contacted me! :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »
Another of my - rare - replies:  I've been fascinated with the Oak Island pit since the early 60's and I don't believe anyone has come up with anything new and tangible for quite a while.  I was not aware of any alleged Templar involvement with Oak Island until the past 20 years, when several authors seemed to find Templars in a number of different projects and locations.  The Scottish Sinclair's may have visited New England some 90 years before Columbus and the clan chieftains have had a long affiliation with both Templars and operative Masons.  I would welcome more research on the topic, but I have no idea from whence it would come.  Certainly an intriguing topic, though.
Given the apparent time of construction, I have yet to hear of any group, or individuals, other than the freemasons, who had the expertise for such a task. As for motive, or intention, if we knew that, we'd probably know what's down there.
Who, besides the freemasons themselves, would want to secure something so thoroughly, and be able to get expert stonemasons to help them? IMO, that duct work that flooded the shaft was not done by laymen.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
I'm just posting this link because I just came across it.   Figured I'd throw it in here on this thread. :)

http://oakislandtreasurehistory.wordpress.com/2014/01/02/hear-the-complete-history-of-the-oak-island-treasure-and-mystery/

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »
I'm just posting this link because I just came across it.   Figured I'd throw it in here on this thread. :)

http://oakislandtreasurehistory.wordpress.com/2014/01/02/hear-the-complete-history-of-the-oak-island-treasure-and-mystery/

WW
Thanks, WW!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »
Well, it's like I told my wife about any of these TV shows that are investigating classic mysteries like Bigfoot, and others. If someone found conclusive, tangible proof, you'd hear about it in the news. Not saying its' all BS or anything. Just saying that if someone captured a live bigfoot, or if the Oak Island folks found treasure, you'd hear about it even if you weren't following one of the shows.

That said, it leads me to believe that they haven't filmed an episode yet that turned up any treasure, unless everyone on the show signed the mother of all non-disclosure agreements.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Well, it's like I told my wife about any of these TV shows that are investigating classic mysteries like Bigfoot, and others. If someone found conclusive, tangible proof, you'd hear about it in the news. Not saying its' all BS or anything. Just saying that if someone captured a live bigfoot, or if the Oak Island folks found treasure, you'd hear about it even if you weren't following one of the shows.

That said, it leads me to believe that they haven't filmed an episode yet that turned up any treasure, unless everyone on the show signed the mother of all non-disclosure agreements.
You're right, I believe. It would be on all the wire services before a TV show could ever be put together. BUT!  Look how well they keep who won the current season of "Survivor" a secret. There is a winner 5 months before we see it on TV. A few years ago one of the guys almost lost his Viewers' Choice prize because he jumped the gun and bought an expensive new car.  Secrets can be kept, when enough money is involved.
That said, I would like to know what was so all fired important that it was hidden that well. But like I've said, I'm more into the mystery, than the prize.  (Unless, of course, it's the Ark. That would be cool.)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »
We never found out what the treasure was in Marcellus Wallace's briefcase either. :shrug:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 04:45:55 AM »
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
Psst... OP.  The Ark has been found, doncha know...   :)

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/470/Noah-s-Ark-Has-Been-Found-Why-Are-They-Keeping-Us-In-The-Dark-

WW.
LOL! It would be a good trick to jam Noah's ark down that hole on Oak Island. I was referring to the Ark of the Covenant.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
Has anyone watched the next episode? Has it aired?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
Has anyone watched the next episode? Has it aired?
The 3rd episode had to do with the graves. I'll see if I can find the exact title and any future air dates.

EDIT: "Voices From the Grave" aired on the 19th (Jan), and E4 is coming up on the 26th. The title is "The Secret of Solomon's Temple". Could be interesting. Sounds like they might be building a case for the Ark being down there.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 08:17:22 PM »
I had to do some tricky clock math, but Voices From the Grave is on TONIGHT. Shortly after midnight for me.

Offline Sarge

• Whetstone +
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
We never found out what the treasure was in Marcellus Wallace's briefcase either. :shrug:

LOL!!!!
"The man with the knapsack is never lost."  - Horace Kephart, 1917

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »
Well, FWIW, if the Templars/Masons did hide the Ark of the Covenant down there, I hope nobody finds it very soon. A lot of blankets would start unraveling....

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »
Oak Island is only a little ways down the coast from here. Some of my ex-wife's family were involved in a couple of the past searches.
The first episode of Dual Survival was filmed on an island in the same bay FWIW. As well if any of you are familiar with Rick Marchand, he lives in that area too.

See... it's a nexis.
Yeoman

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »

I watched two episodes,  the first kept my attention,  the second started to get a little same old same old,  I got about 10 minutes into the third and switched to a rerun of Alaska The Last Frontier.

It's probably just my mood these days but Oak Island is starting to look a lot like Matt Moneymakers search for Bigfoot,  a lot of drama,  some yelling,  and at the end of the day there's nothing to show for it.
  The only thing keeping it going is the money the brothers are getting paid to be there,  if they keep playing with it after the show ends they'll loose their shirts on that folly.

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
History channel, uugghh.. they should call it the histrionic channel.

Upon the invitation of Boston-area businessman David Mugar, a two-week survey was conducted by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in 1995. This is the only known scientific study that has been conducted on the site. After running dye tests in the bore hole, they concluded that the flooding was caused by a natural interaction between the island's freshwater lens and tidal pressures in the underlying geology, refuting the idea of artificially constructed flood tunnels. The Woods Hole scientists who viewed the videos taken in 1971 reported that nothing conclusive could be determined from the murky images.[38] The five finger drains or box drains at Smith's Cove on Oak Island, which have traditionally been assumed to feed seawater into the alleged flood tunnel, have in recent times been argued to be the remains of an early salt works, and accordingly there is no connection between the five finger drains and any flooding of the Pit

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:00:24 PM by weedeater64 »
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »
History channel, uugghh.. they should call it the histrionic channel.

I wholeheartedly agree!   What REALLY sucks is, it used to be one of the best of the cable channels.....now it's just trash! >:(